In October 2014, I spent four useful days North Carolina as part of my three week IVLP visit to the US. Our group was learning how American think-tanks work. We went first to Washington and then to New York, after which we returned to the "real world" of Raleigh. We visited legislatures, think-tanks, universities. We also shopped, ate out at the nearby mall, made friends, and were hosted for dinner by upstanding citizens of the Tarheel State.
On October 18 - 25, 2014 International Focus was honored to co host Open World Rule of Law Program together with Hon. Allyson K. Duncan, U.S. Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
The Moldovan judges among other professional appointments visited NC courts, the Secretary of State office, the Central University Law School and the Wake County jail. This visit further strengthens sister state relationships between Moldova and North Carolina.
Moldova has just had Parliament elections. Nine newly elected parliamentarians have been through Open World hosted by International Focus.
The Open World Program, a U.S. Congress-authorized program managed by the Open World Leadership Center and locally administered by International Focus, Inc., brings emerging community leaders to the United States for 10-day networking visits to observe U.S. democracy and free enterprise in action.
Results from the Nov. 30, 2014 Parliamentary Elections in Moldova
Democratic Party of Moldova
- Andrian Candu (2012, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
- Serghei Sirbu (2011, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
- Corina Fusu (2010, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
Liberal Democratic Party of Moldova
- Liliana Palihovici (2012, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
- Gheorghe Mocanu (2014, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
Party of Communists of the Republic of Moldova
- Elena Bodnarenco (2012, Accountable Governance, Hendersonville NC, Friendship Force of Western North Carolina; IF sub grantee)
- Petru Porcescu (2007, Finance, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
- Igor Vremea (2014, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
- Anatolie Zagorodnii (2010, Parliamentary Program, Raleigh NC, International Focus)
International Focus, Inc. recently hosted a student delegation of 15 teenagers ages 15-17 from Mexico to the Triangle area for a Youth Leadership Conference about substance abuse prevention from Monday, July 21st through Saturday August 2nd, 2014. This conference was under the auspices of the U.S. Department of State in conjunction with the Ministry of Education of Mexico, World Learning, and International Focus, Inc.
The objective of this program was to promote a mutual understanding between the people of the USA and Mexico by promoting interaction with peers and families, service learning activities, and the creation of a service project to implement upon returning to Mexico. They also had the opportunity to participate in cultural outings, social gatherings and recreational activities.
Thanks to everyone who came out to support IF at the North Hills Summer Concert Series!! We really enjoyed being part of this lovely evening with great music and a huge crowd! Thank you to the folks at North Hills Gives Back who selected International Focus as a featured nonprofit during their Summer Concert Series.